Student Illness, Accident and Emergencies
Injuries and medication procedures.
- The student should report to his teacher who will give him written permission to attend the Health Centre if necessary.
- The registered nurse on duty will assess and treat the student as required. If further care is required the parents will be contacted to collect him from the Health Centre. The Head of House will then be informed.
- If the student is injured whilst playing sport either at the School or off campus he should report to his teacher/coach in the first instance and then to the registered nurse or designated qualified first aid person on duty.
- If the student is injured during recess or lunch he should report directly to the registered nurse on duty in the Health Centre
- An assessment will be carried out and first aid will be administered. If further care is required parents will be contacted to collect the boy.
Serious Illness/Injury requiring doctor or hospital
- The parent/guardian will be contacted wherever possible, according to the information available on the boy's health record/school database.
- The registered nurse will be called to the site of the injury/illness if at all possible and/or, if appropriate, the student transferred to the Health Centre where first aid will be administered.
- The registered nurse on duty or other member of school staff/suitably qualified personnel (if the nurse is not available) or, if off campus, the designated qualified first aid person on duty, will assess the student and if required the student will be transported to the doctor/hospital.
- In an emergency or on the advice of an attending doctor the student will be taken by ambulance or other suitable vehicle to the nearest available hospital.
- In the event of injury or illness to a student requiring urgent hospital or medical treatment including but not limited to injections, blood transfusions and the like and where a parent/guardian is not readily available to authorise such treatment the registered nurse or other member of the school staff (if the nurse is not available) is authorised to give the necessary authority for such treatment without the school or such staff member or any other employee or agent of the school incurring any liability to the student, parent or guardian in doing so.
- Parents are requested to inform the Health Centre staff of any prescription medications being taken by students.
The School recommends that prescription medication be taken under supervision in the Health Centre.
- If assistance is required with the administration of prescription medication, written consent by parent/guardian or doctor is required.