Growth and Setbacks
At the end of 1915, Mr SC Noake was appointed Headmaster. In 1917, the status of Christ Church was raised from preparatory school to university junior examination level. During this year, the Old Boys’ Association was established, the inaugural edition of The Mitre was published and a school library was founded.
In 1918 the main school oval was levelled, and in 1920 the School acquired Mr Higham’s property, Nanutarra. This was a large two-storied house on 2.5 acres providing accommodation for 20 boarders and greatly desired access to the river.
Legislation by Synod during 1917 brought Christ Church and Guildford Grammar School under the control of one representative council. Christ Church did not have any representation on the Council until 1920, and during this time the existence of the School came into jeopardy and the Council threatened to close it. A committee of parents offered to take over the management of the School and the Council agreed to keep the School open. The pressure and stress of this situation forced Mr Noake to resign in
Mr HS Thompson took over the role of Headmaster in 1922 and was faced with the pressure of increasing the School’s enrolments. That year the School’s enrolments stayed level at 94 boys. Christ Church struggled with retaining students in the senior years, with boys leaving to complete their Junior, Sub-Leaving and Leaving years at rival schools.
Despite only staying in the Headmaster role for one year, Thompson had great plans for changes at the school including development of the school grounds, additional accommodation for students and masters, and the construction of a gymnasium. Some of the highlights of the 1922 school year included successful fundraising to build a boatshed, the formation of the school scout troop and end of term picnics to Point Walter and Point Resolution.