Philosophy is an activity. It is a way of thinking about certain sorts of questions. The most distinctive feature of philosophy is its use of logical argument.
The Philosophy curriculum at Christ Church Grammar School teaches boys how to analyse, evaluate and advance arguments offered in response to life’s enduring questions. These can include:
• How do we reason? (Logic and methodology)
• What is? (Metaphysics)
• Does God exist? (Philosophy of religion)
• How do we know? (Epistemology)
• How does science add to knowledge? (Philosophy of science)
• How should we live? (Ethics)
• How should society be run? (Political philosophy)
• What is beauty? (Aesthetics)
Our main objective is to encourage rational and reflective consideration of these questions and others like them. Boys are taught how to think, not what to think.
In Year 9 Philosophy is offered as a semester based elective.
In Year 10 all boys complete a ten week course in Philosophy at some point during the year within the PSD program.
In Year 11 the 2A/B Philosophy and Ethics WACE Course of Study is offered as an elective.
In Year 12 the 3A/B Philosophy and Ethics WACE Course of Study is offered as an elective.