The Moyes years
In 1951, Mr PM Moyes held the role of Headmaster and throughout the post-war period, Christ Church boomed. Enrolments increased from 250 in 1951 to 850 in 1967.
During this period, a large number of buildings and facilities were built and developed including new classrooms, two new tennis courts, Memorial Hall, new Science wings, and the Memorial Building which included the addition of a second storey comprising a library and a staff common room.
Two houses were purchased – these would later become the McClemans Boarding House and the Headmaster’s residence. A block of land next to the Claremont campus was acquired, as well as 20 acres in Mt Claremont that were used as playing fields.
The students experienced academic and sporting success. In 1956 the School was invited to join the Public Schools’ Association; in 1957 the School won its first Government Exhibition award; the Head of the River race was won in 1958; and in 1967 Mr Peter Edwards was the School’s first Old Boy to be awarded a Rhodes Scholarship.
In 1967 a plan to modernise the School was initiated. The plan incorporated four stages of development and resulted in new teaching, administrative, sporting, and cultural facilities, including a school chapel – the spiritual heart of the School.
Moyes’ commitment to education, and integration of students with learning and physical disabilities led to the development of the Educational Support Unit. This enabled students with varying disabilities to participate in mainstream school life.
Moyes retired in 1981 after serving 31 years as Headmaster.