War and its aftermath
The Second World War brought significant set backs for Christ Church including financial difficulties, staff shortages, and in 1942 Queenslea house was taken over as nurses’ quarters. Mr Walters experienced the same pressures as previous Headmasters of Christ Church. This, combined with the tragic drowning accident of two Christ Church boys, caused him to resign in 1942. He was succeeded by Reverend LA Jupp, an Old Boy of the School.
During the war years there was little maintenance or development of the School property and by 1945 the grounds were in a poor state. Luckily that year the Synod took an interest in Church of England Schools and the Statute for Church Schools was revised.
In 1948, Mr A Todd replaced Reverend Jupp as Headmaster and two Old Boys were elected to the Council for Church of England Schools. In 1948 work began on improving the School grounds. Sadly, later that year, Mr Todd became seriously ill and died in October 1949. For a year the School had no Headmaster resulting in Archdeacon (formerly Canon) Parry and the School Chaplain, Reverend JFA Dobson, sharing the leadership role.
The year 1950 is considered a turning point in the history of Christ Church. The Archbishop appointed a commission to research the prospect of Christ Church becoming self-supporting. The commission recommended the Council for Church of England Schools be disbanded and replaced with three separate Councils, one for each school within the district (Christ Church, Guildford Grammar and St Hilda’s). The commission’s recommendation was implemented in 1951, coinciding with the arrival of a new Headmaster, Mr PM Moyes.