Don Fraser Club Friends of Rowing
An informal network of old boys has supported rowing at Christ Church since the School entered the PSA competition in 1957. In 1986, parents and old boys officially established the Don Fraser Club with the express purpose of continuing to support the sport at the School.
The name of the Club honours Don Fraser, who was the inaugural coach and a noted State and Australian oarsman. Don, who died in February 2006 at the age of 91, is credited with inventing, building, shaping and honing rowing at Christ Church in the years 1957-1974. At his funeral, attended by many members of the Christ Church community, First Eight rowers formed an honour guard in recognition of his distinguished contribution to the School.
Steve Saunders was appointed Director of Rowing in 2000. He led a team of outstanding coaches and together they have reinvigorated rowing at Christ Church. Teams compete at PSA and National school boy level. What is particularly impressive is the boys’ enthusiasm for the sport.
Club members assist the Director of Rowing at regattas and organise the annual camp, the Head of the River Dinner and fundraising activities.
Click here to view the Senior Rowing manual.
Click here to view the Parents Rowing manual.