Published on: 2 August 2018
Each year in July, the School embraces NAIDOC Week celebrations with a range of activities led by our Indigenous students.
This year’s theme Because of her, we can! celebrates the essential role that Indigenous women have played and continue to play as active and significant role models in our community.
“Tied to her was the theme our Indigenous students set for this week’s NAIDOC Week Art Exhibition, based on the national theme and as depicted across three beautiful tie designs which the boys created and showcased on Wednesday evening,” says Indigenous Program Co-ordinator, Michael Ralph.
“NAIDOC Week presents a special opportunity for us to highlight and reflect our commitment to the part we must play towards reconciliation, with celebrations held around the country to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.”
As part of NAIDOC Week, activities at Christ Church this week have included:
- a poster competition in the Prep School, offering winners the opportunity to participate in an artistic workshop and work alongside our Indigenous students
- a NAIDOC Week quiz in the daily Prep School bulletin
- an exciting basketball match between our teachers and Indigenous students in the blue gym
- the NAIDOC Week Art Exhibition opening hosted in the Old Boys’ Gallery showcasing amazing personalised ties created by our Indigenous students
- students proudly wearing silk ties designed by our Indigenous students
- a NAIDOC themed Senior School Assembly
A special thank you to all community members for supporting the School’s Indigenous Program by purchasing a tie during our recent NAIDOC tie sale.