Published on: 16 August 2018
National Science Week takes place each year with over 1000 events held across the country, and this week students at Christ Church have been actively involved in a range of science activities.
This year’s national theme Game Changers and Change Makers focuses on how science and technology has changed over the years and how those changes have influenced our lives today.
Activities at Christ Church this week have included:
- a virtual reality (VR) experience, navigating a coral reef and experiencing the biological interactions of species within our ecosystem
- an online quiz as part of the Education Perfect World Science Championships, where students compete against other students around the globe for points on behalf of their school
- a dedicated and ongoing Science resource on Nexus, featuring the latest science news, information and activities for students
- the annual Big Science Quiz, which this year involved 26 teams of boys from the Senior School, testing their knowledge on chemistry, physics and biology
- viewings of the documentary Life of a Universe featuring Physicist and Professor Brian Cox, for both Preparatory and Senior School boys
- daily emails highlighting major science news
“Science Week serves as a timely reminder of the crucial role science plays in all our lives. With our desire to move beyond the confines of this planet, and ever-changing global weather patterns, the need to find solutions to food shortages and diseases has never been so important for boys at Christ Church. The role science plays in moulding all of our futures on this planet and beyond cannot be underestimated,” says Head of Science, Mr Edward Hogg.
“It is my hope that students will make the most of the opportunities afforded to them and continue to take an interest in science beyond school – continuing to ask themselves, what contribution can I make to the world!”
Parents are invited to the School’s information evening for the 2019 CASE Space School Expedition, being held on Wednesday 29 August in the Senior School Staff Room. Click here for further details and registration.