The impact of the digital age on your son
Published on: 21 May 2020
At Christ Church Grammar School, we encourage a healthy and balanced approach to technology use.
Part of our role as educators and parents is to teach children to be responsible consumers of technology, educate them on the concept of cybersafety and what are appropriate and inappropriate uses of technology. It is also important to explain to children why they have screen time limits.
The impact of the digital age on childrens’ lives is ever changing and as parents and guardians, we are responsible for helping boys to maintain healthy technology usage through this important part of their lives.
Whilst technological advancements benefit boys’ lives in so many ways, they also have negative implications. Examples such as over stimulation, over reliance on technology, disruption to family structure, lack of physical activity and reduced real life social interactions.
Paul Litherland, owner of Surf Online Safe and one of Australia’s leading cybersafety experts states that young people between the ages of 12 and 18 make up almost 43% of all internet users, whilst over 90% of teenagers use social networking on a daily basis.
“The online world is vastly different from how Generation X and Y grew up and it is a constant worry for parents to try and keep their teenagers safe and responsible online,” says Paul.
“Teenagers have embraced the online world at full pace and it is this demographic that is the most at risk.”
Courtesy of The Wynne Centre for Boys’ Health and Wellbeing and the Centre for Ethics, parents and friends of Christ Church are invited join a free webinar next Thursday 28 May where expert Paul Litherland will discuss topics including:
- Digital citizenship – where our kids are going online, the apps they are using and the information they are sharing
- Online footprint – how easy it is to find kids online and what parents can do to minimise the risk
- Social networking and networking in general – how the systems work and how to overcome their reach
- Online gaming and website use – the risks and uses
- Tips and tricks – how to keep an eye on your kids through software and hardware. Easy instructions on what we can do to keep them safe online.
Interested? Click here to register.